- BJCP Style: Specialty IPA (Double New England)
- ABV: 8.0%
- IBU: 46
- Hops Variety: Cashmere, Strata
- Malts: Unknown (typically Pale or 2 Row barley)
- Brewery: Wild Leap Brew Co.
- City: LaGrange, GA (Atlanta Metro)
- Aroma: Citrus – oranges, tangerines, pepper
- Appearance: Hazy gold
- Flavor & Aftertaste: Citrus, pepper, restrained bitterness, low malt sweetness
- Palate: Medium bodied, low carbonation, dry with a medium length finish. Not bitter in the finish
- Style Representation: Spot on for a Specialty Double NE IPA.
New England IPA has been extremely popular the last few years. Even more so the Double New England IPA (DNEIPA). These hazy beers are boldly aromatic and flavorful without the harsh bitterness found in the West Coast IPA. They can also sport a higher ABV than West Coast IPA. Wild Leap Brew Co.’s Alpha Abstraction series has been one of the most popular NEIPA beers in the Atlanta beer scene. This rotating DNEIPA series features a combination of different hops varieties with each rendition. Wild Leap has been pumping this series out so fast, it’s been hard to keep up. The latest edition, No. X. features Cashmere and Strata hops.
Visually, these NEIPA’s have been an adjustment for me. This one is a hazy gold color with orange tint (many look like you just poured yourself a glass of orange juice – and smell like it to!) and develops a nice fluffy head with good retention. Once you get past that, you can focus on the bold aromas and flavors. Alpha Abstraction X shows off a host of citrus aromas; most notably oranges and tangerines – with a peppery accent. Flavors don’t contradict aroma at all, citrus with a peppery finish. It is not bitter, but that works because it is also quite dry. It has a medium length finish with no lingering bitterness.
Because I am not a big IPA drinker, I’m quite behind on trying out the many renditions in the Alpha Abstraction series. I can only compare it to No. 7, which I did enjoy quite a bit. No. 7 had similar strong citrus aromas and flavors; but did not have the spicy/peppery lacing. Both have similar medium body and slick mouth-feel to them. Alpha Abstraction X is a desirable brew. Wild Leap Brew Co. made a ton of it for distribution; but it still goes fast, so be sure to grab some if you in the Atlanta area.
Thanks for reading. Until next time…Let Us Drink Beer!