- BJCP Style: Dunkles Bock
- ABV: 7.2%
- IBU: 28
- Hops Variety: N/A (Typically Noble)
- Malts: N/A (Munich & Vienna – no adjuncts)
- Brewery: Arches Brewing http://archesbrewing.com/
- City: Hapeville, GA (Atlanta Metro Area)
- Awards: Gold 2017 & 2019 U.S. Open Beer Championshp
- Aroma: Malty Bread, Grains; Faint Alcohol
- Appearance: Deep Dark Ruby, Off White Fluffy Head With Good Retention
- Flavor: Toasted Malt & Caramel; Sweet With Mild Bitterness
- Palate: Medium Bodied, Smooth
- Style Representation: Appropriate
When fans of Lager beers talk about Lagers being more than just fizzy, flavorless yellow beers, Bock is one of the examples they are thinking of. The style is notable for its medium to medium-full bodied, complex flavored malt backbone that carries a slightly higher ABV than, say a Munich Dunkel, for example. It has lots of flavor and is intended to be savored, not crushed. Mystik Bock by Arches Brewing is a fine example of this Amber Malty European Lager style known as Dunkles Bock (or Bock)
Mystik Bock pours a dark, ruby color with a fluffy white head. The head exhibits good retention. Don’t expect hop aromas, as the hops for this style is primarily used for bittering. You will discover a wonderfully complex set of toasty bread and grainy aromas in the nose. You may even detect a hint of dark fruit. The 7.2% ABV does make its presence known in the aroma; but not in a harsh manner. The sweet malt backbone carries toasted malt and caramel flavors start to finish with just enough bitterness to provide some balance. You will not and should not taste any burnt or roasted flavors like you would a Porter or Stout even though it may hint at such with its dark appearance. Culminates in a nice smooth, medium length finish.
Arches Brewing is the top Lager producing brewery in Atlanta and arguably the Southeast. They do an outstanding job of providing craft beer fans a variety of high quality Lager beers that can be difficult to find from most breweries. It’s not a beer for a newer beer drinker; but is perfect for a craft beer enthusiast who is looking to broaden their experience with more flavorful Lagers. Mystik Bock is a seasonal beer, available in the late March – May; but I personally would love to see it year around.
Thanks for reading. Until next time…Let Us Drink Beer!